Handprinted: a fabric swap III-part two

Are you ready to see the final results of my hand printed fabric and hear about the materials and methods I used?

The Crafty Kitty | Hand-printed FabricHere are the final four prints, all in a row. Here are the vital stats:

  • Fabric: GOTS certified Organic Cotton Batiste
  • Size: 50cm x 50cm
  • Method: Block Printing using Hand Carved Lino Stamps
  • Paint: Pebeo Setacolor Transparent Fabric Paint in Ultramarine Blue

The Crafty Kitty | Hand-printed Fabric

I had been doodling in a sketch book for a few weeks and I used white greaseproof paper to trace the design.

The Crafty Kitty | Hand-printed FabricI then transfered the design to a lino block. I originally intended on carving the dragonfly design in two different orientations.

The Crafty Kitty | Hand-printed FabricI carved the designs out of the lino blocks. The design shown here is a star. Whilst carving out the dragonfly design I had to simplify part of the design.

The Crafty Kitty | Hand-printed FabricThe fabric paint I chose, didn’t roller well, so I ended up painting it onto the stamp (which was mounted on some mdf).

The Crafty Kitty | Hand-printed FabricI used masking tape to secure the fabric to the table and placed some card underneath to protect the table. I stamped over the fabric to create a variety of prints.

The Crafty Kitty | Hand-printed FabricThe first fabric has just dragonflies on it.

The Crafty Kitty | Hand-printed FabricThe second fabric has the circles with stars on it.

The Crafty Kitty | Hand-printed FabricFor the third fabric, there is a combination of stars and dragonflies.

The Crafty Kitty | Hand-printed FabricFor the fourth fabric I decided to make another dragonfly print, which has a slightly different arrangement of dragonflies than the first.

On reflection: I’m not sure if the fabric paint I chose, was the right choice for block printing. I ended up going straight ahead with carving my stamps and I think with a little more research and slightly different paint I could have achieved the crispness that I had hoped for.

I was really surprised with how girly my design turned out! I had originally planed to print on organic linen, but I didn’t have enough left, however, this organic cotton batiste, is so light, it really suits the type of design.

I am randomly assigning the prints to my swap partners, so even I won’t know who is getting which print! I’m really looking forward to having a look through the Flickr Pool, once I have sent off my fabric. I might share some of my favourites in a future post!

2 thoughts on “Handprinted: a fabric swap III-part two

  1. March 11, 2013 at 2:21 pm

    Ooh they turned out so pretty!!

  2. March 19, 2013 at 8:47 am

    I am so excited – I love them all! Yours is winging its way to you right now. I hope you like it too :)

Leave a Reply to ClaireM Cancel reply