Days 2 and 3 of KCWC, have been much more productive. I have managed to sew a complete outfit. It has been great to sit down at the sewing machine and make something! It seems like it has been a really long time!
Yesterday I made this gorgeous blouse, using the Woodlands Shirt pattern by Sew Liberated. I was comparing the sizing charts with the Ottobre sizing chart and decided that a 4 year old in Ottobre (104cm) was in between a 5 and a 6 on the Sew Liberated pattern. So I ended up making a 6. Yikes! Well it should fit Lily for a while at least, I hope! I do still have to sew on the snaps, as I didn’t have any. At the moment the neck closure is held shut with a safety pin. I used Organic Cotton Cambric fabric in Floral Garden, the contrast stitching is Burgundy Organic Cotton Sewing Thread, and the purple eco-buttons are made from recycled polyester and cotton fibres.
I hadn’t sewn with this pattern before, and I found the neckline fairly fiddly. The initial attachment of the neck facing was really easy, but the turning and the top stitching were more difficult. Overall it is fairly simple to use though. I ended up not bothering with the pocket. I did cut a pocket out of the same fabric but it just looked messy when I held the pocket up to the blouse, and I decided it didn’t really need it!
I made basic pocket pants from Growing up Sew Liberated, to go with the blouse. I ended up making a 5 for these, but then taking about 3 inches off of the leg length and I am pretty sure the waist is a lot smaller than the book measurements as well. I quite like the fit of the trousers, making the larger size, means that they are a wider leg trouser, which is nice. Plus they should last her quite a while!!
I used Organic, Fairtrade Denim, in Red, and I used the reverse side for the contrast waist, binding and cuffs. I love, how these trousers came out. I really like the combination of the red denim with the floral garden cambric. I have made these trousers before, so it wasn’t that difficult to put them together, other than trying to sew through so many layers of denim with the top stitching.
It is really interesting to see how Lily responds to my sewing. This time, she was really interested as to what I was making, especially when I told her that I was making some clothes for her. I made the mistake of letting her try on the blouse this morning before pre-school and she wanted to wear it instead of her uniform, which led to a minor dispute! She watched me do a little sewing on the machine this afternoon and kept asking if the trousers were finished yet, every time I finished a seam. After a while, she decided that making trousers was a very long and tedious process and it was better to go and do her own thing.