I am a glutton for punishment! I promised myself I wouldn’t sew any more knit fabric items until I bought an overlocker/serger… Oops!
This is the envelope tee from Growing up Sew Liberated, that I made for (wait for it!) my husband’s cousin’s little boy’s first birthday (I have no idea what category of relation that makes him!). I made a slight adjustment to the pattern and managed to give the sleeves a layered look. I traced both the long and short sleeve pattern pieces. Next I put the short sleeve pattern piece on top of the long sleeve pattern piece. I marked the bottom of the short sleeve piece and then measured up by 1cm (the seam allowance). I folded up the seam allowance on the short pattern piece, I put the long pattern piece on top and sewed the hem. I then followed the instructions as per the book. Hopefully the photo below will help my rambling explanation!
I used an organic cotton rib fabric for the back, short sleeves and neck binding. I used an organic cotton printed jersey fabric for the long sleeves and front. The hem of the shirt and the sleeves were sewn with a contrast thread. It was all going rather well until I managed to attach one of the sleeves to the body of the shirt the wrong way round. Unpicking the seam really was a disaster so I rectified it as best I could! (Sorry little Jacob for the sub standard sewing!). I was still rather impressed overall, but really REALLY can’t wait to get my hands on an overlocker (soon my precious!). Here is the little birthday card for Jacob that my two year old helped me make. She did the monster’s body and stuck on the googly eyes. I got the idea from a “Mister Maker” activity in a cbeebies‘ magazine that had scribbles for her to stick eye, leg and arm stickers onto to make monsters.
It was also my husband’s birthday a week ago and this was the little card I made for him. I used some ink pads instead of paint and it was sooo much easier to get the little hand prints! Those are Isaac’s little hands in the teal colour and Lily chose the pink/purple colour to do her handprints! Just about squeezed them onto an A5 space!