Oh dear yet again a few weeks have passed since my last blog post! I have a very good excuse in the shape of a 2 week old baby and a 2 year old toddler…
Talking of the 2 year old… She had a pirate themed splashathon during her last swimming lesson of this term, so I thought I ought to whip something up quickly!
Here she is just before we left for swimming. The idea for the hat and eye patch came from Ottobre 3/2011 (Summer).
As you can see the hat is just a triangle of black jersey fabric. I used an old t-shirt and I happened to cut it along the hem of the t-shirt. I didn’t bother hemming the other sides though and being jersey it isn’t really necessary, especially for something that is going to be used as a dress up item. The skull and crossbones was originally on the eye patch in Ottobre but I decided to cut it out and put it on the hat instead. I ended up using some of the white t-shirt canvas, although originally I thought I had some white Kunin felt left. I didn’t really want to have to mess around cutting out such an intricate shape with anything that wasn’t fairly stiff. The eye patch is made from one piece of felt on the front and one piece of jersey on the back (so that it would be soft against the eye). There is also interfacing in between to help the patch to keep its shape. It is kept on the head with some elastic that is sandwiched between the two eye patch pieces.
Weirdly both the eye patch and the hat both fit my husband as well. I guess that bodes well that they will probably be worn out rather than grown out of!